John B. Larrere is a retired Vice President for the Leadership and Talent practice of Hay Group and principal of Larrere Consulting, LLC. He works primarily with Executives and Executive Teams. He has strong interest in educational leadership, pastoral leadership, social networks, matrix management and international executive leadership.
Delivering results for clients
Mr. Larrere has worked as an executive coach with senior executives in Fortune 100 companies, as well as in the public and private sectors.
- Director of Candidate Formation, Stonehill College and Provincial Councilor, Congregation of Holy Cross
- Chairman, Music Departments, Cardinal Mooney High School and Notre Dame High School
- Parochial Vicar, Holy Cross Parish, South Easton, MA
- Researched the leadership characteristics, skills and competencies of Major Superiors of women’s and men’s Religious Communities, the distinguishing traits of outstanding CEOs of Catholic Healthcare Systems, of outstanding Episcopal priests and superior performing Catholic high school teachers.
- Facilitated the consolidation process for selected parishes in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Manchester, NH
- Advised the executive team of Holy Cross Family Ministries – Rosary Crusadea worldwide ministry organization
- Coaches the newly appointed president of a large Catholic University
- Researched in a joint initiative between Hay Group and Activate Networks, the effects of social affinity networks on the implementation of strategy at a large financial firm
- Coached and advised the administrative teams at Independent Schools to help them respond to a changing environment while maintaining the strengths of their traditions and values
- Assessed Boards to drive greater effectiveness
- Advised a national retailer to improve the effectiveness of their matrix structure.
- Serves as an internal coach to Hay Group executives
- Founded the Chief Learning Officers Roundtable with Dartmouth College
- John worked alongside the Board and Executive team of a bank that doubled in size in three years amid a national economic crisis
- Coached the newly appointed COO of a major consumer goods company. He helped the executive to lead a team that exceeded its annual plan and delivered new products to market in a very challenging economic climate.
- Coaches the senior executive of a well-established financial services firm in order to help the executive create an environment of collaboration among peers and direct reports.
- Coached the president of a financial services firm with exceptional operations experience to inspire and lead the whole enterprise including sales, marketing and finance. He coached a Country Chairman who moved from one geography and culture to another very different geography and culture. He prepared the executive for the different expectations and nuances of leadership in the new situation.
- State Farm Insurance
- Prudential Insurance
- Standard and Poor’s
- United States Department of the Navy
- Exxon Mobil
- Sun Life Financial
- Catholic Health Association
- Farmington Bank
- Union Savings Bank
- New Hampton School
- Xaverian Academy
- Episcopal Dioceses of Connecticut and Massachusetts
- Fontbonne Academy
Areas of expertise
Mr. Larrere has conducted ground breaking research on leadership in a variety of settings and industries including, financial services, healthcare, chemicals, and the military. With his mentor, David McClelland he studied religious and educational leadership. He has also studied global leaders to understand what is similar and different in the art of leadership in various geographies. He has conducted research into effective leadership within matrix structures. Mr. Larrere has applied these insights as an executive coach in a variety of situations. He has worked on five continents. He has spoken frequently in international settings on the challenges of global leadership.
In addition to his executive coaching, Mr. Larrere has joined with his clients to implement systems that identify, select and develop talented individuals and teams. He joined Hay Group in 1985. Most recently, he worked on strategy and implementation with the board and executive team of a growing financial services organization.
John’s Education and Affiliations
Mr. Larrere holds an M.B.A. from Boston University in Organizational Behavior. He earned a Master of Divinity from the University of Notre Dame, a Master of Music from the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester, and a B.A. in Mathematics from Stonehill College.
Mr. Larrere served on the Board of Directors of Hay Group and Governors Island Inc., Gilford, NH. and is a past member of the Board of Fontbonne Academy in Milton, Massachusetts
John is a member of the Executive Development Roundtable at Boston University and the Chief Learning Officers Roundtable at Dartmouth College.
Co-Founded of Chief Learning Officers Forum housed at Dartmouth College