Assistant Director of Communications & Publications
Cardigan Mountain School is a junior boarding and day school for boys in grades six through nine located in Canaan, New Hampshire. The School seeks to employ individuals who will share our commitment to supporting the School’s mission: “To offer a close-knit community that prepares middle school boys—in mind, body, and spirit—for responsible and meaningful lives in a global society.” The School offers competitive salaries and benefits in a rewarding work environment defined by the strength of our community and our core values: compassion, integrity, respect and courage.
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications & Marketing, the Assistant Director of Communications & Publications is a writer, serves as the School’s primary editor, and will coordinate the production of the School’s publications, including the School magazine, the Cardigan Chronicle. This position draws on strong written, editorial, design, and creative communication skills to share the mission and work of the School to diverse audiences: parents, alumni, trustees, faculty, staff, students, prospective families, and the public. This position will partner closely with administrators and staff throughout the school community. This is a full-time, year-round position.
- Lead production and serve as editor of the School’s biannual alumni magazine, the Chronicle, including managing an editorial board of constituents from departments across campus to develop long-term, forward-thinking content strategies.
- Develop, write, and edit short and long-form content and news stories that highlight the School’s academic program, key strategic messages, alumni successes, and core values.
- Coordinate the layout, design, production, and mailing of the Chronicle.
- Using the Adobe Creative Suite, design and oversee print production of School handbooks, event invitations and programs, calendars, and other student and parent resources.
- Collaborate with department and campus constituents, to produce admissions materials, advancement materials, strategic plan materials, and the annual report to support the operational and strategic needs of the School.
- Contribute to photography of campus events including classroom activities, family weekends, commencement, and sporting events
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism, graphic arts, marketing, or a related field.
- A minimum of three years relevant experience, preferably in an independent school environment.
- Excellent writing and editorial skills, with the ability to write for multiple platforms including social media, web, email, and print.
- Excellent understanding of technology and current tools to support content creation and distribution, including desktop publishing, graphics design, digital photography, video production, and content management.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, balance multiple projects, and work collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Interest in and experience with digital photography desirable.
- Experience in independent school environments desirable.
Consistent with life at a boarding school, the Assistant Director of Communications & Publications will understand and appreciate that a Cardigan education is in effect seven days a week. Occasionally, there will be evening and weekend responsibilities for this role.