Chief Financial Officer
Chief Financial Officer
(Start Date Summer 2020)
BerryDunn has partnered with Fryeburg Academy to find a qualified, education-focused, financial professional as their Chief Financial Officer.
Our client, Fryeburg Academy, is an independent secondary school for grades 9-12 and a Post-Graduate year that serves a widely diverse population of local day students and boarding students from across the nation and around the world.
The School is set in a classic New England village, in the foothills of the White Mountains. It is a community offering a sense of belonging to all who come, and a backbone of support to all. It is close to the ocean, rivers, lakes and 800,000 acres of White Mountain National Forest, so outdoor activities are limitless, every season of the year. The magnificent natural surroundings encompass a region rich in culture and entertainment, thanks to thriving local resort towns like North Conway. Living here provides learning opportunities about people from around the globe and from our very own place in the world.
This is a key executive officer role, reporting to the head of school and working collaboratively with the trustees, to oversee and manage the business, financial, facilities, human resources, and operational functions of the school.
This senior leader provides primary support to the Trustees’ Committees for Audit, Finance, Building & Grounds, Compensation, and Investment. The position requires active leadership, interaction and collaboration with the head of school and senior team, faculty, staff, and the board of trustees. The CFO is responsible for ensuring legal compliance, managing all business operations, and supervising directors in the following administrative areas: accounting and finance, business services, food services, employee services, plant operations, and campus safety.
- Oversee the financial sustainability of the school by analyzing the short-and-long-term financial position and making recommendations regarding the ongoing organization, integration, and effectiveness of all financial and administrative functions
- Supervise staff in business operations, food services, plant maintenance, campus safety, IT, and auxiliary-revenue sectors
- Develop annual budgets and long-range, strategic plans in alignment with the School’s mission and core values as directed by the head of school.
- Direct risk management processes including insurance, campus safety, technology, facilities management, legal issues, and financial controls.
- Collaborate in strategic planning
- Advise and oversee management in execution of major capital projects and any other on-campus construction
- Serve as a key strategic advisor to the head of school, other senior administrative leaders, and the board of trustees.
- Lead, motivate and manage a strong staff in various departments.
- Relevant business degree with significant accounting experience; strong management experience in an educational setting is desirable
- CPA or MBA preferred but not required.
- Commitment to leadership as a collaborative, team-based endeavor
- Ability to manage, evaluate, and motivate staff; ability to innovate
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies fairly, respectfully, consistently, and with integrity
- Demonstrated knowledge of management principles and practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of budget management specific to schools
- Ability to use salient data for planning
- Experience as a problem-solver who takes initiative and contributes as a business-oriented, analytic, strategic thinker
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- High degree of organizational skills; ability to establish and manage multiple priorities; ability to work under pressure
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy – a belief that shapes all decisions: financial, operational, legal, educational, and ethical
A resume and cover letter indicating interest in the position and salary requirements can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.