Job Title: Controller
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Updated: April 2020
The role of the Controller is an integral part of the Business Office responsible for coordinating and assisting in the preparation of financial reports, such as income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of historical and future income and expenses, in addition to other special reports as needed.
The Controller position is a year-round, full-time exempt agreement with benefits in accordance with School Policy.
Specific Responsibilities (including, but not limited to)
Accounting and Budgeting:
- Enforce policies, procedures, accounting standards for internal financial control.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and yearly financial statements on schedule.
- Acts as liaison between School and CPA firm; along with coordinating and preparing work papers for the annual review.
- Gather and prepare information required for the preparation of Form 990, Form 1041 and Form 5500 tax returns.
- Attend various meetings as required .
- Review and authorize all check/EFT requests submitted. Upload ACH file to bank for CFO approval.
- Preparation of annual surveys and compliance reports, as needed
- Maintain fixed asset schedule and prepare yearly depreciation schedules.
- Reconcile gift income with Advancement Office monthly
- Cash Management - ongoing monitoring of cash balances in various bank accounts.
Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable:
- Collaborate with Accounts Payable and Student Billing areas
- Assist in the annual preparation of 1099 forms.
- Record monthly campus store cash sales
- Pick up cash allowance from bank for students based on the request from the Director of Purchasing and Retail Sales as needed
- Reconcile petty cash box and prepare petty cash check
Human Resource Management/Payroll:
- Collaborate with the CFO and HR Manager as a member of the Benefits Task Force
- Participate as a member of the Retirement Investment Committee
- Approve weekly claims funding requests from third-party administrator for the self-funded Captive Health Insurance Plan
- Maintain understanding of payroll software to provide back up for payroll processing as needed
- Serve as point of contact in the CFO’s absence
- Software technology administration for business office staff including Blackbaud Merchant Services, Bid Pal, Comcash, DiamondMind, FACTS, FE NXT, Flywire, WorldPay
- Other duties as needed and assigned by the CFO including, but not limited to greeting visitors to the business office
Required Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge:
- Certified Public Accountant required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Accounting/financial experience, preferably with an academic environment.
- Excellent communications skills, with professional interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of accounting software systems, data retrieval, report preparation, word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to work independently, be self-motivated and be able to cope successfully with stressful situations, schedules and deadlines.
Physical Work Environment
- Must have the ability to meet the physical demands of sitting or standing at a desk or computer workstation, and using repetitive movements as required for computer input
- Successfully complete a driving record check and criminal background check
How to Apply:
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Human Resources Manager Wendi Cantwell at email@example.com