Dean of Faculty
Kents Hill School is at a pivotal moment in its almost 200-year-old history. Our new Head of School has brought a clear educational vision, a global perspective, experience at both traditional boarding and international start-up schools, and a strengthened focus on developing the whole student through a balanced, purposeful and impactful curriculum. The foundation that has made Kents Hill one of the oldest boarding schools in the country, caring and deeply engaged faculty members who truly know each student, is stronger than ever. Our 225 students grades 9-PG hail from 25 states and over 20 countries. Our small size allows for a transformative educational experience rooted in community, character, and values.
This position, with a start date of July 2019, is a key leadership role at Kents Hill School. This position will work closely with an experienced group of Department Chairs to provide inspiration, support, guidance, mentorship and clear expectations to all members of the faculty; utilize their own knowledge of secondary education best practices to create relevant and engaging internal and external professional development opportunities for faculty throughout the year ; and create and maintain a positive faculty culture with a focus on community, innovation, accountability and growth.
The ideal candidate:
- Listens first, asks hard questions and is available to act as a sounding board for faculty and for students
- Works with the Department Chairs to create a positive faculty culture focused equally on growth and support
- Is excited to build trust with the Kents Hill School faculty members, earn their confidence and develop a strong understanding of the community needs
- Values and models collegial collaboration, feedback and self-reflection as a means for growth
- Effectively and clearly communicates with multiple audiences and stakeholders
- Is knowledgeable about best practices within the world of secondary education and able to provide training and support for both new and experienced teachers
- Understands the challenges and opportunities for a boarding school faculty member
- Is culturally competent and able to work effectively with a diverse student body, including those with learning differences
- Recognizes the value in ongoing professional development and approaches teaching from a growth-mindset
- Has an understanding of the aspects of the 4D teaching model and has experience incorporating reflection, skill development, character and knowledge into their own teaching
- Has significant experience in secondary education, including at a Department Chair level
- Possesses a relevant advanced degree
Equal Opportunity Employer
Kents Hill School is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
How to Apply: Please send letter of interest and resume to HR@kentshill.org.
Please also include how you heard about this position.