Director of Alumni Engagement
Job Title: Director of Alumni Engagement
Reports To: Assistant Head of School & Director of External Affairs
Summary: Vermont Academy seeks a dynamic, experienced, creative, and organized individual to serve as the Director of Alumni Engagement. The Director of Alumni Engagement will report to the Assistant Head of School & Director of External Affairs and work closely with the Director of Annual Giving, the Director of Advancement Services & Stewardship, and the Director of Communications & Marketing to engage and communicate with VA alumni of all ages. S/he will develop and implement alumni programming, including Reunion, regional and campus events, and is responsible for recruiting and managing volunteers, including the Alumni Council and its committees, and alumni Class Representatives. This is a full-time, twelve month position that includes travel, and weekend and evening work.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop annual goals, plan, and timeline for Alumni Engagement programs and activities– in coordination with the Campaign (when in Campaign), Annual Giving, and Admissions - and oversee its timely and effective implementation.
- Create meaningful avenues for alumni participation in the life of the school.
- Serve as a major contributor to the alumni magazine and develop other alumni publications and newsletters, printed and digital.
- Budget responsibilities include monitoring the annual Alumni budget and the ROI and CDR to ensure program and events stay within or above “Productive” mode, and recommending a budget for next FY.
- Focus on all Alumni Association (VAAA) activities; serve as the staff liaison with VAAA Co-Presidents; oversee all VAAA committees; work with VAAA and its committees to determine annual goals and timelines; ensure VAAA and its committees are achieving their annual goals in a timely way; ongoing focus on recruitment of new volunteers for VAAA committees and VAAA Council; ensure that the VAAA leadership is in alignment with strategic goals of the school and Board of Trustees;
- Coordinate all VAAA related awards, working with school administration, recipients and their classmates, families, etc.
- Oversee annual regional travel calendar and recruit hosts, coordinating with Assistant Head of School and Head of School’s calendars.
- Organize Reunion and all related programming related to Reunion; recruit Reunion Chairs for benchmark Reunions o Focus on benchmark Reunioning alumni (12+ months in advance, coordinating with AG), young alumni, and alumnae.
- Ensure alumni social media channels are populated and coordinated and in-keeping with direction of all-school social media strategies
- Prepare the VAAA Co-Presidents for their Board meetings and regular reporting to the Board of Trustees.
- Track alumni career and contact information, ensuring its timely entry into the Raiser’s Edge database, for networking and solicitation purposes.
- Expand and manage the class representative’s program.
- Support the school, its mission, and its leadership.
- Perform other duties as requested, delegated, or assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
1. Bachelor's degree required
- A minimum of three of experience in development and/or alumni relations and fundraising education, preferably in independent schools
- Proven success at networking and relationship building
- Demonstrated success managing budgets
- Comfort with relational databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge, and GiveCampus, as well as with social media (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn), and other technology
- Proficiency in MS Office programs.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills
- Detail-oriented and able to work collaboratively
- Creative problem solver
- Possess great integrity and tact and able to maintain confidentiality
- Highest ethical and professional standards
- High-energy and enthusiastic about working in an academic atmosphere
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends, as required by the position
- Clear understanding of the mission, values, organization and traditions of an independent school
- Support residential life by performing evening and weekend duties in rotation.
- Actively participate in the life of the Academy by being a visible presence at meals, meetings, events, productions, and games.
Please mail or email letter of interest and resume to: Melanie Hoffmann, Assistant Head of School & Director of External Affairs Vermont Academy PO Box 500 Saxtons River, VT 05154 vermontacademy.org firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please.