Director of Alumni Relations
Position: Director of Alumni Relations
Reports to: Director of Leadership and Annual Giving
Updated: March 20, 2019
Job Summary: The Director of Alumni Relations will plan, coordinate, and execute comprehensive alumni programs for New Hampton School. The Director will manage the newly created Alumni Council working to recruit key alumni volunteers to move the New Hampton School alumni programming forward. The results of his/her effort will be exhibited through greater alumni involvement, greater event attendance, increased annual and reunion giving, and stronger involvement of alumni in institutional leadership and volunteer roles.
Job Status: This position is a year-round, full-time, exempt agreement with benefits in accordance with the Employee Handbook. This position requires travel and weekend hours as determined by the Director of Advancement.
Specific duties: This position is responsible for providing opportunities for alumni to become more involved with New Hampton School.
- Develop program for on-campus alumni events throughout the year to include, but not limited to Powderkeg (bi-annually), Alumni Winter Weekend, and Reunion Weekend
- In conjunction with the Director of Leadership and Annual Giving, and Young Alumni Relations Coordinator, oversee staff involvement of Reunion Class committees to increase Reunion Weekend attendance and Class Gift participation
- Assist with class volunteer recruitment
- Organize and execute committee communication throughout the Reunion year cycle to include conference calls, letters, social media posts, etc.
- Lead Alumni Council and other volunteer opportunities to engage our alumni community. Establish a networking cohort for current NHS students and alumni
- Oversee the New Hampton School Alumni LinkedIn page
- Work in collaboration with School Life Office and Director of Communications to facilitate Alumni in Residence opportunities as well as alumni classroom visits, community meetings, alumni panels, career day, etc.
- Manage the NHS Connects networking program
- Responsible for coordinating, publicizing and implementing a variety of off-campus events with assistance from the Executive Assistant to the Head of School
- Assist with writing, editing and providing content for the monthly electronic alumni newsletter
- With the Director of Athletics manage the Hall of Fame committee and serve as liaison between NHS and families with named awards to the corresponding Athletic Award event
- Assist the Office of Communications with alumni information needed for the Hamptonia, including coordinating class notes and obituaries
- Conduct in person meetings with NHS constituents to cultivate and steward important School alumni relationships
- Assist with the Bicentennial Celebration event and provide support to the Bicentennial Coordinator when appropriate
Required Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Significant and relevant experience with alumni relations work at the independent school, college, or university level
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of constituencies
- Ability to adapt to new software and tools related to communication
- Experience managing and working with adult and student volunteers
- Outstanding ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Commitment to teamwork and ability to collaborate with colleagues to align advancement strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills • Warmth and sense of humor
- Standard computer skills, including email, database management, Microsoft Office Suite, including PowerPoint. Raiser’s Edge database experience preferred.
- Successfully complete a driving record check and criminal background check
Physical Work Environment:
- Must have the ability to meet the physical demands of sitting or standing for prolonged periods of time at a desk or computer workstation, and using repetitive arm, hand and finger movements as required for computer input
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects at one time and to set priorities as needed
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds and other general physical labor
How to Apply: Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Human Resource Manager Wendi Cantwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.