Director of Innovation and Design
With the creation of a renovated Maker Space, recent fundraising successes, the development of extra-curricular activities in robotics and STEM, as well as a strong traditional curriculum in science and mathematics, Kimball Union aspires to be the leading independent school in the STEM fields in northern New England. Beyond individual elements developed over the years, we seek to create an integrated approach to STEM that transcends typical academic boundaries by strengthening cross-disciplinary and project-based learning while utilizing advanced principles of design and technology on a school-wide level. This quest to enrich our teaching and learning is founded on a centuries-long commitment to academic excellence that prepares students to join the complex and ever-changing world. This commitment to enhancing our educational program is paired with equal determination, through hiring, admission and advancement, to ensure that the School has the resources and people to sustain this ambitious vision.
Summary: The Director of Innovation and Design will develop and teach a Design Thinking course and may teach/direct a selection of the following:
- Courses within the Science and/or Math Departments, including but not necessarily limited to Physics, Engineering, and Computer Science courses
- Lead the school’s STEM Scholar Program
- Lead the afterschool STEM Activity, including engaging students in appropriate collaborative and competitive activities
- Serve as the Design Facilitator/Integrationist for cross-disciplinary, project-based learning on the Academy’s Academic Council
- Manage the Maker Space and collaborate with teachers to create technology-driven, design projects as part of the STEM initiative
The ideal candidate will understand the engineering design process, will be comfortable operating in one or more programming languages, and will be experienced in robotics.
Organizational Relationships: The Director of Innovation and Design reports to the Dean of Faculty and the Academic Dean. Additionally, this position provides insight and strategic direction for admission, marketing & communication, and expanding recruitment efforts as it relates to STEM related initiatives.
Position Detail: While candidates possessing all of the following qualifications represent the ideal, the Academy ultimately seeks someone who is willing and able to grow the level of engagement in the STEM fields at the Academy, who is open minded and flexible, and who possesses a love for working equally with both program and people.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with faculty and administration to integrate new and emerging technologies, digital education and instructional design into the greater KUA educational landscape
- Assist in the development of strategies for evaluating learning outcomes across online, blended, and technology-enhanced courses
- Design opportunities and resources that support student and faculty innovation
- Research, acquire, operate, maintain Maker Space technology and equipment, and train others in their use
- Guide recruitment efforts in collaboration with admissions, perform community outreach, and participate in marketing, external affairs, and advancement efforts
- Master’s degree and five or more years of related experience preferred (instructional design, instructional technology, educational technology), or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working on STEM related projects with high school-aged students
- Experience with the Computer Sciences such as coding, and 3D modeling software applications
- Strong content knowledge of the STEM fields and the ability to apply them to teaching and learning
- Demonstrated initiative, independent judgment, diplomacy, and a service-oriented attitude
- Strong commitment to teamwork and problem solving
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to manage workload under time constraints and conflicting demands
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Kimball Union Academy
PO Box 188
Meriden, NH 03770