Head of School
Sant Bani School was founded in 1973 as an elementary school with six students, and rapidly grew to include a high school. Due to changing demographics, the high school closed in June 2015, and Sant Bani is focused on becoming a best-in-class K-8 program. SBS provides a high-level, comprehensive educational experience while also recognizing the value of the spirit and the unique gifts each member of the school community brings.
Initially an outgrowth of Sant Bani Ashram, a spiritual retreat center, the School became an independent organization in 1983. While the School and the Ashram are separate organizations, they continue to coexist harmoniously as neighbors. Sant Bani School does not apply pressure on anyone to accept a certain set of beliefs. Students and faculty of all backgrounds are welcome. In fact, one of the School’s founding principles is that truth can thrive only when there is freedom of thought and expression.
About the School
Sant Bani School is built on the belief that we have something to learn from everyone. Surrounded by nature, we create a diverse community where respect for all living things is central. Their mission is to provide a high-level, comprehensive educational experience while also recognizing the value of the spirit. With small classes, committed faculty, and an emphasis on collaboration and service to others, Sant Bani School teaches students to Be Good, Do Good, Be One.
- an open, judgment-free environment that builds confidence and encourages curiosity and creativity
- academic, social and emotional learning
- collaboration and critical thinking
- mutual respect, fairness and inclusiveness
- service to others, connecting empathy and generosity of spirit with action
- nature and the experience of being outdoors
- quiet time, simplicity and reflection
- expanding students' horizons and connecting with the world around us
- having fun together
The following operating principles expressed by the spiritual teachers H.H. Kirpal Singh (1894-1974) and Sant Ajaib Singh (1926-1997) will be sustained in perpetuity by the school.
- Understand and appreciate that every person is unique and, as such, that there is something to learn from everyone.
- Pursue learning with the objective of being better able to help others. The school-wide service-learning program brings this principle to life.
- Demonstrate kindness to and respect for all living things. The practice of requiring vegetarian meals during school and at school events reflects this principle on a daily basis.
We will be the leading PK to 8th grade school for student-centered preparation for secondary school and beyond.
About the Position
The Board of Directors seeks a passionate and experienced administrator to serve as the School’s next Head of School effective July 1, 2021.
Other Characteristics Desired in the Head of School
- An outstanding, experienced educator, knowledgeable about educational best practices and trends. Expertise in K-8 pedagogy and curriculum and able to guide and support the faculty with their ongoing program development
- A leader with experience at the senior administrative level who understands the need for organizational systems and protocols
- Is a skilled listener who can efficiently and effectively process information and make expedient decisions coupled with a clear rationale
- Works collaboratively with all stakeholders building a sense of trust and respect
- Communicates clearly and respectfully with employees, trustees, students, and families
- Strong financial acumen and the ability to oversee the budget as decisions are made about sources of revenue and the allocation of resources
- Significant experience at the senior administrative level, encompassing admissions and finance coupled with the ability to foster a culture of philanthropy to secure the school’s future.
- A visible internal and external spokesperson for the School who embraces and embodies its core values and traditions and effectively communicates them to the School’s various constituencies
- A willing partner with the Board, Faculty and Staff to ensure the strategic direction and ongoing growth of the School
- Considering the size of the School, needs to be flexible and ready to step into many roles
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following materials:
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet (contact Doug Cummings for that document)
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee
- Current résumé
- Statement of educational philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Please address any inquiries or expressions of interest to:
Doug Cummings, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC
email: email@example.com, phone: 207-992-6248