Major Gift Officer - International Focus
Position: Major Gift Officer
Department: Advancement Office
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Manages: Advancement Associate
Last Updated: March 27, 2019
Job Summary: Reporting directly to the Director of Advancement (DOA), the Major Gift Officer will be responsible for identifying and cultivating relationships with prospective major gift donors and planned giving donors. The MGO develops and implements solicitation programs for major gifts to New Hampton School with an added focus on international fundraising and the last two decades of alumni prospects. The MGO will spearhead a plan for travel and solicitation for constituents of New Hampton School who live abroad. The MGO will support all efforts of the $30M Bicentennial Campaign. Overseeing the Advancement Associate, the MGO will work in conjunction with this role to implement partnerships with newly identified companies and programs for current students. Using a vast network of alumni and parents, the MGO will engage companies and programs with an affiliation to New Hampton School. The MGO will also oversee the Advancement Associate’s work with affinity group fundraising and program leader collaboration.
Job Status: This position is a year-round, full-time, exempt agreement with benefits in accordance with the Employee Handbook. This position requires travel and weekend hours as determined by the Director of Advancement.
- Work as a key member of the Advancement team, participating in regular managed prospect meetings to identify new prospects and plan cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for current capital gift prospects.
- Conduct individual research and coordinate strategies for high-level volunteers and trustees where they may participate in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts.
- Additionally, with volunteers and other staff, coordinate all strategies for annual, capital and planned giving solicitations for major gifts prospects.
- Together with the Director of Advancement and the Director of the International Support Program devise a plan for international travel for the purposes of the cultivation of our families and alumni living abroad.
- Cultivate the last two-decades of alumni prospects to support a growing pipeline of alumni donors and volunteer leadership.
- Collaborate with the Director of Leadership and Annual Giving to strategize next steps for donor movement and to find creative opportunities for cultivation and stewardship.
- Serve on relevant Bicentennial Campaign Committees through duration of the Campaign effort.
Capital and Annual Giving:
- Actively manage and cultivate relationships yearly with approximately 150 major gift prospects/donors as defined by their minimum rated capital gift capability of $50,000+.
- Conduct extensive travel to achieve twelve to fifteen personal visits per month to include discovery visits during each trip.
- Work with the Director of Advancement, the Admission Office and select faculty to screen current parents, grandparents, and alumni and conduct research to identify leadership annual donors and major gift prospects to bring to prospect review meetings.
- Assist the Director of Advancement, Director of Leadership and Annual Giving and the Director of Alumni Relations with the Reunion giving program, with a particular focus on the 25th Reunion.
External and Internal Programs:
- Manage work with the Advancement Associate to offer a variety of networking and partnership opportunities for all constituents of New Hampton School.
- Support the Advancement Associate as the affinity group and program head liaison for the Advancement Office. Organize and execute arts and athletics program leader fundraising education trainings each year. Coordinate roundtable discussions to provide education and strategize communication tactics with each school program leader.
- Work to identify, cultivate and solicit external partnerships through the alumni network that will benefit the New Hampton School student community.
- Strategize with Head of School, Dean of Faculty, Director of Studies and Director of Experiential Learning to create programming opportunities for the New Hampton School community such as internship opportunities, Project Week partnerships, summer and/or new class offerings.
Cultivation and Stewardship:
- Support the ongoing implementation of stewardship procedures and plans for assigned prospects.
- Cultivate relationships with constituents, regardless of giving capability.
- Create and implement unique ways to demonstrate impact of gift for major gift donors.
- Help identify individuals for the Alumni in Residence Series, Parents Leadership Council, Alumni Council, Board of Trustee, and other leadership volunteer opportunities to better engage the NHS community.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Significant and relevant experience with advancement work at independent school, college, or university level
- Demonstrated ability to work with prospective donors
- Ability to adapt to new software and tools related to communication
- Experience managing and working with adult and student volunteers
- Outstanding ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Commitment to teamwork and ability to collaborate with colleagues to align advancement strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Warmth and sense of humor
- Standard computer skills, including email, database management, Microsoft Office Suite, including PowerPoint. Raiser’s Edge database experience preferred.
- Successfully complete a driving record check and criminal background check
Physical Work Environment:
- Must have the ability to meet the physical demands of sitting or standing for prolonged periods of time at a desk or computer workstation, and using repetitive arm, hand and finger movements as required for computer input
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects at one time and to set priorities as needed • Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds and other general physical labor
How to Apply: Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Human Resource Manager Wendi Cantwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.